Subject: Clare Grogan vision of pulchritude....
From: Dickon Edwards <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 20:16:30 +0100

Okay new member here. please indulge me as I'm still struggling to find my way round
this intricate technology based stuff.....

 Tag (Hi Tag!) has instigated a constant stream of movie related postings and I'm
shocked and surprised that no-one has mentioned "Gregory's Girl," possibly the most B+S
film of all time. (Again apologies if this has been discussed and is nestling in an
archive somewhere.)  If you haven't seen it its by Billl Forsyth, who also went on to
make "Local Hero"(also wonderful) and some very strange thing with Robin Williams as a
caveman(Erm...) Anyone with a passing interest in shy Scottish boys coming to terms with
unrequited love and finding beauty in the mundane (all of you I hope) should be watcing
this religously. It also introduces the brain numbingly gorgeous Clare Grogan, who was
the first crush of every hormone riddled pasty lad of a certain age (including Ritchie
Manic apparently) . Basically the most elegant, awkward, sublimely funny film ever
made...

 On the subject of sad songs the one that always does for me is "My man's gone now" by
Nina Simone. The first time I heard it was at a friends party where I'd decided to bring
a scratchy old vinyl copy I'd found in a car  boot sale instead of a bottle of wine
(cheaper and I'm a bit of a music fascist at parties). Anyway being such polite hosts
they put the album on straight away (unlike some people, still haven't heard that Rutles
album David..)  as the party progressed the wine flowed, more people arrived and
evrything was going swimmingly....... until the album (Nina sings the blues by the way,
sorry) reached the part of "My man's gone now" where Nina screams "OOOLLD MAN
SOORRROWW!" at which point the room went deathly quiet and everyone swivelled there
heads and just stared at the speakers unable to believe that such a noise could come
from a human throat.  Anyway my friend Sarah had just split up with her boyfriend and
she ran out into the garden to weep uncontrablly and I had to choke the odd one back
myself. Incredibly sad, incredibly beautiful and the most raw, naked howl of pain ever
to be recorded......... The other one that always gets me  is "Atmosphere" by Joy
Division............just because.

 Can I also just say that B&S can't play scrabble for toffee!

Love all, Rory