Sinister: paul, the digest is playing up

Honey psm at xxx.net
Wed Aug 27 23:50:29 BST 1997

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, David & Katrina wrote:

> just tried to subscribe to the digest and it seems to be a closed list
> still, can we get that changed before you go?
>
> apart from that, this list is the works!
>
> so thanks again...
>
> ...david kitchen

(Copied to the list to avoid confusion - someone else did something
similar a while ago):

Just to explain further what happened - I don't think there IS a problem
with the digest version of the list - if anyone sends a command of the
form

subscribe listname blah

i.e. puts a space and then something else after the listname, then the
something else is interpreted as an email address to subscribe you to,
i.e. not just take the defult From: field from your message.  Obviously
this is potentially open to abuse as you might subscribe someone you
don't like so it goes to the list admin (me) for approval - I think that's
what happened because you asked for:

subscribe sinister digest

instead of

subscribe sinister-digest

As I said in my other message I think you're already on the digest
actually.  If I'm getting this wrong let me know but to check try
unsubscribing from sinister-digest and then subscribing again.

Paul