Sinister: B&S: the Bathers connection

Nigel Turner nigelt at xxx.net
Thu Aug 28 11:14:57 BST 1997

Charlotte Hall wrote:

     >A while ago someone asked about The Bathers who played with B&S at
     Kelvingrove Park. They are worth checking out although they're not
     really like B&S at all. They've also been around a lot longer. Their
     best album is called "Sweet Deceit" which is, without hyperbole, a
     masterpiece. Chris Thomson, the lead singer, started out some time ago
     in a band called Friends Again who I think were on the renowned
     Postcard label (circa 1982??).

Mmm.....I saw the Bathers at Kelvingrove Park, and thought they were attrocious - very much in that OTHER Scottish tradition of fake white soul - you know the offenders..... Deacon Blue, Wet Wet Wet, etc.  I also thought their stage act was not a little pompous and arrogant (just my luck if they're reading this!).  I have vague recollections of Friends Again (wasn't "Honey at the Core" one of their singles, or am I confusing them with someone else?), but they definitely weren't on Postcard.

By the way, am I the only person on this list who thinks that there has been rather too many postings of a....mmm......tenuous nature appearing on this list in the past day or so?  Wouldn't be anything to do with the tape competition, would it?  Might I suggest that any future such competitions should reward QUALITY of posting, rather than quantity?  I say give the tape to the duke.

Nigel