Sinister: Belle influences

Sandy Blair cateran at xxx.com
Thu Aug 28 23:25:05 BST 1997

I can't be the only one that is pretty bored by the constant comparisons to
Nick Drake, they are misleading at best.

OK there is the plaintive vocals but the music is very different. I hate it
when B&S are described as 'folky' too

The first thing I thought of when I heard Mayfly (for instance) was
'Drumbeat for Baby' by Weekend. Have B&S ever mentioned Weekend???

Come to think of it Young Marble Giants spring to mind too, despite the
minimalism of the instrumentation which is very different to B&S (which
only sounds simple by the admirable restraint and careful complimantary
playing of the Bellesters). When I saw YMG (sorry just had to mention that,
it was in Dunfermline, support was the Thompson Twins) they managed the
same B&S type spell which the best B&S gigs have.

Felt are mentioned, and at least I can kinda agree with that, though only
early Felt, and only in a Durutti Column sort of way. Nothing past
'crumbling...' I would have thought.

Anyway, other suggestions?