Sinister: As big as the Cardigans?!?

David & Katrina d.kitchen at xxx.net
Fri Aug 29 08:57:23 BST 1997

Landmine9 at aol.com wrote:

> A faraway friend mentioned the other day that he believed Belle and
> Sebastian
> would be as big as the Cardigans soon enough.
>
> I can't really see this happening.  The Cardigans have a dancey aspect
> that
> makes them more accessible to a wider audience.  I have heard from
> more than
> one person that B&S are "depressing,"  thus destroying any mass appeal
> they
> might have.  I have even played them for a couple of people who I was
> certain
> would like them, and they just kind of shrugged.  Even the friend who
> likes
> Simon and Garfunkel and does speed didn't like them.
>
> What do you think?  Are they movin' on up?  And what kind of effect
> will
> their rather odd way of dealing with press effect it?
>
> michael

as big as the cardigans may soon become a terribly known underestimate
of their impending greatness.
has anyone read Select magazine yet?
they conducted a league of bands and bought in a team of judges, the
idea being to whittle all the current contenders down to a few important
bands, Belle and Sebastian came second, only after Bentley Rhythm Ace,
and only because Andy Ross at Food hates B&S with a passion.

Belle and Sebastian may not be the Spice Girls, but we're not talking
about that leg of the race are we? We're talking in the vein of The
Smiths and Joy Division, Velvet Underground and every other act that has
proved timeless and important to us. And put like that, Belle and
Sebastian are going to be stupidly big, whether they do press or not.

They are the only band I can name who are important not because of a
photo or interview, or drugs and a rock and roll ability to blag, but
simply because of great records.

As big as the cardigans indeed!
--
      http://freespace.virgin.net/d.kitchen/Bluesoda.htm