Sinister: RE: Dogs and small boys

Nigel Turner nigelt at xxx.net
Fri Aug 29 11:00:40 BST 1997

>i love this band, right...but the problem is i live in france...and when i
try to tell people about them and stuff, they they smile, or just downright
make fun of me...i don't know if you all know this, but "belle et sebatien"
was the name of a rather soppy tv show about a small boy and this bloody
great dog...a french show...from which the obvious question springs : was
it shown in england?

Yes it was......it was shown on the BBC children's program slot (weekdays, 5-5.30), probably sometime in the early 70's.  I seem to recall it being rather poorly dubbed into English, with a woman's voice for the part of the boy, Sebastian, (why do they always use women's voices for boy's parts?).  I don't think they overdubbed the dog (Belle), which was a big white long-haired animal (St Bernard?  Mountain dog?).  At the time, the BBC were showing a lot of dubbed European childrens programs, such as Belle and Sebastian, The Singing Ringing Tree (Czech, I believe), and White Horses (of the wonderful Jackie theme song fame).  I'm sure there were others......

Nigel
xx