Sinister: re:success for B&S

Chris Stack Chris.Stack at xxx.com
Fri Aug 29 13:07:02 BST 1997

  Unfortunately I don't think B&S will ever be as successful as is hoped by most on this list. They just don't seem right for the time, hence the reason why those who appreciate music and people in the industry think they're the best thing since sliced bread...unlike the masses, they see a bloody good band with great songs. The music buying public probably won't go near them unless they hear comparisons with Oasis and such. Assuming my younger sister is typical of most young teenagers ( she bought Spice Girls, Oasis, Hanson etc.) then B&S will remain in obscurity, although I can hear her singing along when it's played in the car, when her mates come round it's "this is what my brother listens to, snigger, let's go and play P*t*r Andr*."
  A parallel is the West Coast Pop art experimental band, everyone thought they were good, and now they're early albums are worth loads, I think they were the only band on the reprise label to have three albums and no hit, again they were just wrong for the time... pity, but then if B&S ever did make it into the top 40 I can't see them staying there, they'll be dismissed by the general public as being a folk band with a cult following who happen to have made an extremely rare album. (It was 'the Guardian' who called them folky.) who cares about the made-up top 40 anyway?