Sinister: stuart and the pastels

AEHering at xxx.com AEHering at xxx.com
Fri Aug 29 13:52:24 BST 1997

The Duke wrote ...

>i heard a story from a reputable source that goes
>like this: There was a party being held by, i
>think, Stephen Pastel, at which were assembled
>various pop personages and other glasgow
>hipsters.  Lois Maffeo was there also...  So
>Stephen and Lois were playing some songs on
>guitars, and because they were hip everyone was
>going 'yeah, cool' and being sycophantic
>apparantly.

Thanks for refreshing my memory ... is there a chance that your reputable
source is called Jennifer R****** ? I'd love to get in touch with her again !
Besides, Stuart used to have a recording of this or some similar party ...
unfortunately he lost it.

>ANyway, then Stuart played some of
>his own songs, and everyone (including Stephen and
>Lois) were looking really embarrassed and shifty,
>looking out the window, whatever, just not into it
>at all.

Hmmm ... I'm still wondering about the reasons for crediting Stephen McRobbie
on the latest album ... and about Stephen's more recent evaluation of B&S ...

>So just so you know, there was a time
>when Stuart and his songs were not loved by the
>people of Glasgow... never mind anywhere else.

Couldn't be more truthful ... five people coming for his first gig with a
"real" band (that is, accompanied by two other guys) in '95 ... for the books
... a corner pub somewhere near West Princess Street ... wasn't it called the
Cava ? Can't remember ...

Perfection As A Hipster