Sinister: Y'know; Religion, and God and stuff.

A Lad Woven In Slur aeos at xxx.com
Fri Aug 29 14:30:36 BST 1997

Re: Writer's upbringing:
> I doubt he had a Catholic upbringing, because he says: "the vicar or
whatever", unless he was a
> rubbish Catholic who didn't know much.

Weeeelll.......actually there is an inaccuracy in that bit; we are told
that Hilary went to the *Catholic* church, but then has intercourse [shut
up] with 'the *vicar* or whatever'. It's likely that they realise that you
don't have Catholic vicars - and thus they add 'or whatever' to detract
from the mistake. And it fits, anyway; I don't think this necessarily means
the writer is not Catholic.........

And, by the way, the couplet,

'Hilary went to the Catholic church because she wanted information;
The vicar, or whatever, took her to one side and gave her confirmation'

Is actually very clever and true-to-life. In fact, it's so perceptive I
would guess that the writer has been in the situation [as, indeed, have I]
- and thus has had a Catholic upbringing.

Andrew O'Sullivan
aeos at dial.pipex.com
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/osullivan

"Nobody knows the way it's going to be"