Sinister: As big as the Cardigans? and beyond.

stinger patrick at xxx.net
Fri Aug 29 17:42:25 BST 1997

David & Katrina wrote:

> Landmine9 at aol.com wrote:
> >
> > A faraway friend mentioned the other day that he believed Belle and
> > Sebastian
> > would be as big as the Cardigans soon enough.

Funny this is mentioned.  I have a friend who is the music director for
a station called Live 105 in San Francisco.  The station is one of three
or four "trendsetters" as far as commercial radio goes in the U.S.  I
had heard that they might start playing "Dylan In The Movies" so I asked
him about it.  He said "Oh yeah, we're adding it next week, we all (the
programming board) love it.  It has a Cardigans kind of appeal."
Granted, the US radio mix has the strings and guitars turned up so it
does sort of highlight the same aspects of what we have come to expect
from Cardigans songs.
  No doubt people are catching on to Belle and Sebastain.  If you're one
of those protective types that don't like sharing your bands and are
hoping  B & S will remain some underground phenom like Felt you're
wrong.  The only question is can Belle and Sebastain have the public
success that they are about to achieve, and remain with integrity intact
in future recordings.  There is no doubt in my mind that the answer is
yes.  It's a fine line that very few can walk.  Pavement could, Blur
could not.  Radiohead could, R.E.M could not.
  There place in history is obviously yet to be determined, but the
names like Joy Division, The Smiths etc are not out of line at all.
Slogan:  Belle and Sebastain, the thinking persons Oasis!