Sinister: Belle influences

AEHering at xxx.com AEHering at xxx.com
Fri Aug 29 18:21:15 BST 1997

The Duke wrote ...

>I would really like to
>know, however, if he's familiar with the group
>McCarthy (Tim Gane of Stereolab was the guitarist,
>and they were members of the RCP at the time -
>Revolutionary Communist PArty for those who don't
>know... sounds rather quaint now doesn't it?!)
>because 'la pastie...' sounds like a McCarthy
>title if ever there was one! (they had a great
>song called 'we are all bourgeouis now', in
>fact!).  McCarthy played in Glasgow quite
>regularly, and i wonder if Stuart was there?

What do you think ? Stuart used to be a groovy P!O!P! kid, just like you and
me ... probably he lost a little bit of enthusiasm over the years, since hhe
would rarely join to see some new Glaswegian bands, but he is familiar with
McCarthy who started releasing records in 1986 (!). In fact, the last time I
met him was at the Stereolab (!) / Yo La Tengo gig in Edinburgh in '95 and
... well, one couldn't say that he doesn't like Laetitia. I might be wrong,
but I seem to remember that he liked the Tindersticks quite a bit at that
time ...

Perfection As A Hipster