Sinister: stuart and the pastels

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.uk
Fri Aug 29 14:25:30 BST 1997

> there was a loud clang. turned out it was the
> duke dropping names: 8)

it's the only thing i do well!

> dum de dum. i had an email from sarah a couple
> of
> months ago and the address she gave me to reply
> was john smith's bookshop in glasgow. isn't this
>
> the one where mr pastel also works?

yeah, i'm sure that's true.

> actually, the pastels comparison may be better
> than the smiths comparison -

i have a problem with the pastels angle because,
basically i don't like them much.  Stephen was
very nice and helpful once when i was asking him
questions about his old fanzine 'Juniper Beri
Beri' for my thesis, but still, i can't get away
from the memories of the old clique that existed
around the whole glasgow scene, then as now i
expect.  The PAstels records i liked for a short
while, but i grew tired of it, more excitement lay
in other areas i guess.

> and nobody answered when i asked whether 'songs
> for children' that was mentioned in a list of
> upcoming songs was a cover of the pastels track.
>
> does anyone know?

i didn't see that question, sorry.  I doubt it is
a cover version, since 'Songs For Children' was
the title of the EP on Whaaam! records.  I don't
_think_ there was a song of the same title.  The
EP did, however, have my very favourite Pastels
song, and one which i do still love, the swoonful
'Heaven's Above'.

> and just why has glasgow produced more decent
> bands than you can shake a whole bundle of
> sticks
> at when edinburgh hasn't?

not quite fair, and unlike me to defend edinburgh,
but what about Fire Engines! (and by association
anything else Davey Henderson has done), Josef K
(and by association anything else Paul Haig has
done) Shop Assistants, Jesse Garon... a few
others.  Weren't The Thanes from Edinburgh?

Still, as you so rightly infer, Glasgow's Miles
Better.

the duke

> --

Tangents On-Line
http://www.virtual-pc.com/tangent/
Tangents On-Paper: PO Box 102, Exeter, EX2 4YL, UK

tangent at mail.zynet.co.uk