Sinister: heaven & hell

MWaggner at xxx.com MWaggner at xxx.com
Mon Dec 1 03:31:05 GMT 1997

> > > "The closest thing to heaven is rock 'n' roll"
>  >

I think rock'n'roll by definition -- or at least good/great rock'n'roll -- is
that it is the music of being young.  That very heady time when something can
be very powerful and exciting, and things touch you very deeply.  It's music
of rebellion and freedom.
Something in the music of a particular band or of a particular song or style
reaches what you feel inside but maybe can't quite articulate.  And you say
"YES!!" and for that moment you feel less alone or unsure, all's right with
the world,  and you can fly on that.  That's very close to heavenly...

That's why so many different genres fall under that "rock'n'roll" heading --
it's all so personal, what one is feeling or needing at a particular time of
life.  There are bands that are loved by younger kids because they touch
those 13 and 14 year old insecurities -- those bands get dismissed by others
who have maybe "gone beyond" those things.  But those little schoolgirl
crushes on pretty rock boys are very valid and useful at that time of life.
 There's metal for those who need to yell "F--- the World,"  in one way, and
bands like Pearl Jam or whatever that deal with the perception of being alone
and apart.  Scorn me if you will, but I really like Pearl Jam because I can
remember that raw emotion.  I can understand exactly how that music touches
people.  It's like a cosmic shriek or something.  And if you can tap into
that and be a part of it during the song, it's like a great letting go.

The very best bands of any of the "sub-genres" touch a universal chord -- no
matter how old you are or where you are in your life, you can identify with
the emotion, whether you're currently living it or remembering it.

Oh, I've gone on and on, just to say that I think music is emotional, and
emotions can certainly be heavenly, when they aren't a living hell...