Sinister: Lamacq & Lyrics

Rodney Crowley R2-CROWLEY at xxx.uk
Mon Dec 1 09:21:28 GMT 1997

As Andy said:
[.....]
>and steve lamacq was worse than ever last night. i've
>decided he must die...

Saw something the in Independent yesterday looking at what happens next
now the Britpop bubble bursts. Lamacq's great insight was to say that one thing
that may happen is the rise of "commercial anti-pop like Belle & Sebastian".
No problem with the "commercial" bit but "anti-pop"? This is just
unnacceptable as far as I am concerned. In what sense is B&S anti-pop?
Anti-pop is Celine Dion, Bush, Ocean Colour Scene, Kula Shaker, Elton John,
bloody Perfect Day. Pop is All Saints, pop is Aqua, pop is Belle & Sebastian.
Where's the problem in that...?

<I withdraw all this if Lamacq is using the term in the way that 'anti-pope' was
used historically - that is 'alternative and possibly rightful'. But I suspect he
isn't.>

Lyrics...can anyone tell me what relationship B&S lyric sheets have to the
actual songs? Have you noticed they are almost always subtly different from
the songs themselves. Are the printed lyrics an earlier incarnation of the song?
Are the band playing games with our listening pleasure? Or are the written
lyrics a "listesque"  mishearing of the actual song by some Jeepster minion?
Does anyone know??

RodneyXX