Sinister: Smile, aftershows, funny you should say that....

Robert McTaggart mctag at xxx.com
Thu Dec 4 15:43:22 GMT 1997

On Thu, 4 Dec 1997 14:00:38 GMT, you wrote:

>Arab Strap, man. How ace is that.

Man?  What kind of talk is that? you big bloody hippy.  The word is
dude (no it isn't).

>They're playing right here in leeds as well next week. Hurray.

Hurray.  That's a much better word.

>Anyway, what's this about an aftershow? Very showbiz.
>For those of us unlikely to be going, a cool place to meet up,
>get down, and rock out would be Smile at the Star & Garter, on
>saturday night. For the uninitiated, it's a nigh on perfect club,
>totally in check with B&S' not-quite-indie ethos.

Not-quite-indie ethos.  Yeah, that is one way of putting it.  Smile
can be beautiful, drunken anarchy, but with attitude and immaculate
taste (mostly, there are exceptions - My Life Story being one of
them).

>They play Pavement and Felt, then B&S and Cardigans, then Supremes
>and Nancy Sinatra, then some more B&S, then Saint Etienne, then
>My Life Story if you're lucky.

No, the word isn't lucky.

>then it all gets a bit blurry and you fall asleep on the
>stairs while the Pete Wiggs-a-likes take photos of their girlfriends.

Did you do fall asleep?  You drunken, mad, beautiful fool.
Pete-Wiggs-a-likes, hahahaha.  Apparently said guy saw Pete Wiggs in
London and tapped him on the shoulder, Pete turned round and said
'fuckin' ell' cos he thought he'd met his doppelganger.  But he never
got confused with Mick Hucknall in Pizza Hut as someone very dear to
me did rather bizarrely (OK, it was me).

>It's dead cheap, right groovy, and great.

>If people are gonna go,  then kinda post stuff about whether you'll
>where flowers in your hair, or grolsch tops in your shoes, or
>whatever.

This is one of those strange coincidences that happens in life from
time to time, which brings me to good news, bad news time (as the
Krankies used to say on Crackerjack).  The bad news is 'Smile'
probably won't be happening on 27th December (awwwww....), the good
news is that the much-mooted After Show party, and Smile may well be
connected in some way (woohoo!).  Naaa, I've said too much.  It's
being worked on and you, the kids, will be the first to know.

By the way, I don't work for 'Smile', I just do their press, haha.

Love and kisses,
Tag

Incidentally, which of you said you had to be bored to go to
Manchester at 3 in the morning?  Pah.