Sinister: jesus wept

Nick Dastoor/BSHO/GB Nick_Dastoor/BSHO/GB%BSHO at notesgw.compuserve.com
Thu Dec 4 19:01:59 GMT 1997

Sinister: jesus wept

Peter Higgins (p.higgins at mailgate.csm-li.co.uk)
Thu, 04 Dec 1997 13:54:05 +0000

>Don't take this personally, but... That pastiche of a B&S song which someone
suggested we could all add to in a kind of >internet happy clappy collaborative
perfect world vomit inducing experiment type thingy was simply astounding!
Please >keep such "ideas" to yourself next time, I could do without the kind of
mental upset which your "song" caused me. It's >nonsense like this which gives
fans a bad name. Right, can I go back to sleep now?

Oh dear, I feel like I've had the stuffing knocked out of me.  Don't take this
personally but...  I think you misunderstood my intentions, character,
whatever, Peter.  Of course my "song" was crap.  And no, I don't really
subscribe to all this global village nonsense either.  It was a _joke_.  Maybe
not a very good one after all, and of course jokes that fall flat are worse
when they are in print (well, not print, but you know what I mean) because they
just sit there lurking in their irretrievable, semi-permanent state.

The lines I wrote where supposed to be a piss-take of some of the more obvious,
recurring themes in Stuart Murdoch's songs (esp. the earlier ones).  Such as:

* Mentioning misfit girls by name a lot (Jean, Jenny, Judy, Lisa, Jane, etc)
* Dropping in names of years ('82 in She's Losing It, 1975 and 1995 in The
State I Am In, 1972 in Me and the Major)
* Ecclesiastical matters (IYFS, Le Pastie)
* Not being into the drugs scene (Me and the Major, Photo Jenny, Le Pastie)

I'm not remotely suggesting that these 'sum up' Belle and Sebastian - they're
the kind of things that if taken to extremes would make for a very dull,
formulaic twee pile of rubbish.  Of course I think there's infinitely more to
them them than that - they wouldn't be my favourite bands for years if I didn't.

But in a light-hearted (crap phrase I know - shades of '..and finally' items on
local news) way I thought maybe others might have spotted other things in Belle
& Sebastian to satirise which they could post as further verses to mine.  But
if no one thinks it's funny or appropriate, I shall bow to your sharp tongue
(hey - mix those metaphors), consign my thread to the bin and hang my head in
shame at Manchester Town Hall.

So long,
Nick

nick_dastoor.bsho at notes.compuserve.com