Sinister: jesus wept

john monroe monroej at xxx.com
Thu Dec 4 21:24:05 GMT 1997

----------.  It was a _joke_.  Maybe
> not a very good one after all, and of course jokes that fall flat are
worse
> when they are in print (well, not print, but you know what I mean)
because they
> just sit there lurking in their irretrievable, semi-permanent state.

i thought it funny, it reminded me of this US comedian ( and i am blocking
on his name! ) who had this stand up routine about meeting morrissey, and
he goes into this morrissey-esque sing-songy voice " Did i tell you i lied
/ and then i cried/ and then i lied... did i tell you i cried? oh, ok"

> The lines I wrote where supposed to be a piss-take of some of the more
obvious,
> recurring themes in Stuart Murdoch's songs (esp. the earlier ones).  Such
as:

yes, i think you spotted them alright!

> I'm not remotely suggesting that these 'sum up' Belle and Sebastian -
they're
> the kind of things that if taken to extremes would make for a very dull,
> formulaic twee pile of rubbish.  Of course I think there's infinitely
more to
> them them than that - they wouldn't be my favourite bands for years if I
didn't.

agreed 100% there.  i really didn't think you were trying to put the band
down.
so, it was silly, but i find parody humorous.

One can make any line into a song by the Fall, by adding '-uh' to the end
of every other word :)
well, maybe that is only funny after having a few drinks and singing old
bob dylan songs as if Mark E. Smith was singing... 'hey-uh, mr tambourine
man-uh, come play your song-uh for ME!' you get the picture. ( side note -
when MES recently sacked the band, it was reported he wanted to go on stage
solo and do beachboys songs, oh i wish it was true... )