Sinister: b&s content

Matt Locke matt at xxx.com
Fri Dec 5 15:09:20 GMT 1997

hello pop-kids!

its good to see that b&s content is returning to the list, even if it causes a bit of a ruckus (handbags at 20 paces chaps...) We all get e-mails (especially from lists) that we don't like, but it isn't really that hard to ignore them, is it?

there's no need for this flaming business, folks (especially as we are all happy bunnies, aren't we?????)

>From: Christopher R Blake <crb23 at xxx.edu>
>Subject: Sinister: B & S Article
>
>Perhaps you've all read this but I just came accross it and thought I'd
>mention it.  The 11/14 issue of Salon contains an article about Belle &
>Sebastian written by Nick Hornby.
>
>http://www.salonmagazine.com
>Sorry if this is old news - I've only been subscribed for a week and a
>half.
>
>Chris

Don't worry Chris, I posted almost exactly the same message to the list on the 28th November.... and I probably wasn't the first either.....

It is a good article anyway, and very complimentary, so check it out if you haven't already.

(obligatory non-b&s content follows - stop reading if you're a purist!)

I bought the trembling blue stars 7" after hearing about them on the list and its ace! (prefer the song about falling into arms, tho')

I also got beth orton's new 'best bit' ep, which is an absolute cracker! She's collaborating with Terry Callier, who is *the* most criminally unlauded soul singer of all, and a bit of a personal hero. He released some amazing albums on Cadet in the 60's/early 70's then had to give up music as a career in order to raise his daughter (sniff!) During the early acid jazz scene in 80's his albums were rediscovered and started to go for big bucks (particularly the wonderful 'What Color is Love') Cadet released a compilation in the early 90's of his best stuff, including the epic 'Dancing Girl', 'What Color is Love' and 'Your gonna miss your Candyman', which starts with the most incredible guitar line (sampled by Urban Species, among others).

He was then brought out of obscurity to play a couple of dates at the 100 Club, and then later at the Jazz Cafe and Russ Dewbury's Jazz Bop at the Clapham Grand in 95. I saw him there, and was blown away. He has an amazingly gravelly voice, and sings the most beautiful soulful folk you could ever imagine (which is why B&S fans should check him out). He was also so grateful to be back making a living as a musician after 20-odd years in the wilderness that he cried on stage when he first came on (to rapturous applause and cheers).

I later saw him perform at the Concorde in Brighton, and he is now working on a new album. BGP have also re-issued an earlier Prestige album called 'The new folk sound of Terry Callier' (or something) which is well worth hunting down.

sorry for this brief sortie into musicology, but the EP is lovely, and he's a bit of a hero, so I couldn't help myself.....

So I guess its time to break my duck and say that I'm willing to make a compilation tape featuring best bits of Terry Callier for anyone interested, plus tapes of Tigermilk (of which I have 2 copies!!!) for anyone in the North of England (I'm based in York, for my sins....)

I won't tape all of Terry Callier, however, as the Cadet compilation should still be available on CD (and vinyl if your a junkie like me) and the money should really go into his pocket.....

'nuff for now,

matt