Sinister: peanuts

Mussadiq Ahmed mahmed at xxx.uk
Sun Dec 7 12:37:28 GMT 1997

bradford wrote:
> plus the beginning of seeing other people sounds like the vince guaraldi trio.
>
> any thoughts on the connection between peanuts and b&s ?
> -brad

Spot on. Since I've been on the list, you are the 2nd person
to mention the Peanuts connection.

While browsing my 'The Rolling Stone album guide', I came across Vince
Guaraldi. When it mentioned that it was he who wrote the piano-based
jazz soundtracks for the Peanuts in the 60s, memories came flooding back
of watching Charlie Brown cartoons on weekday mornings during the
Summer holidays. It was the music that had a lasting impression on me,
that Summery, mellow, laid-back piano supplemented with simple, but
elegant drum and bass (the jazz variety, of course). Snoopy in his
shades was, for me aged 11, the epitome of ultra-beatnik, jazz-coolness,
hip-swinging daddy-o standing out like a beacon in squaresville. Of
course, Guraldi's music helped to consolidate that pole position.

A few days later, I was the owner of
"A boy called Charlie Brown - music from the tv special" by
The Vincent Guraldi Trio. The music was as good, if not better,
than my memory recalled from my childhood. This is an excellent jazz
album and all homes should have one. The jazz snobs usually turn their
noses at Vince, because he wrote and played, shock-horror, melodic,
memorable, recognizable tunes that the public enjoyed. Give me an
enjoyable, uplifting lp over a challenging, experimental,
"hmmm-strokey-strokey-chin-chin"  effort any day.

A few months later, I was browsing in HMV Reading one Sunday and Vince
Guraldi came on the stereo playing the most gorgeous piano intro. So
I thought until Lou Reed began to sing about his confused adolescence
and sexual experimentation. This turned out to be my first ever
encounter with Belle and Sebastian and "seeing other people". I bought
the cd and ,ahem, never looked back.

If you are interested in sampling Vince Guraldi, visit your local
HMV and search for the above cd  in the jazz section. Then ask an
assistant that you would like to listen to the album and request track
1 (can't remember the name) and "Linus and Lucy" (track 6, I think). You
will be captivated and will walk away with the album. Don't bother with
Virgin, they've never heard of Vince and their assistants are truly
incompetent in operating the computer database.

Mussadiq