Sinister: Bossa Nova Piped Peanuts

PM - AU oc245d8aff at xxx.net
Mon Dec 8 22:06:57 GMT 1997

Sorry for my bizzarre outburst about Brazillians, it's just
that when asked why Brazillians are so good at football the
only reasonable explanation I can come up with is that they
all learn to play using coconuts instead of proper
footballs. Toughens up your instep.

Yes, I do like Tom Jobim, lovely, lovely, lovely, especially
in Portuguese (which I can't understand), but quite nice in
English too thanks to Jobim's voice which is not that of a
professional singer (it says here). I think "Off-Key" would
be most appropriate for Stuart Murdoch's charmingly wayward
vocals. I also like "How Insensitive" very much. It's the
song that roped me in, thanks to a version by those pesky
Monkees. You have to be careful when purchasing Jobim albums
as Sting seems to use them as a Trojan Horse type device to
make his way into unsuspecting record collections.

I've picked up that Peanuts album many a time, but I've
never actually bought it. Time will tell whether or not
Mussadiq's eloquent piece will persuade me to take the
plunge. I have to say that this list is a much more
effective marketing tool than the NME. Only an unfortunate
lack of funding has prevented that Paul Simon album from
entering my boudoir. And I don't like Paul Simon very much
(at all), but the description was very intriguing. Which I
suppose is a roundabout way of saying thanks for all the
information and entertainment this list continues to provide
me with.

I tried to download the necessary software to come and play
in the chatty room, but the little box said it would take an
hour and eighteen minutes for the little cybermen to shovel
it off the back of a lorry and wheelbarrow it into my
computer terminal. So I thought you can stick it.

This song is very nice too, Valsa De Porto Das Caixas, which
must mean Waltz of the Port of Boxes. Am I right? It's
definitely got more of a ring to it in Portuguese.

Oh and by the way, I had a go on the magnetic poetry thing,
but there's some strange force at work that turns every line
into a pile of filth.

And another thing - some friends of mine insist that they
heard an instrumental version of Judy and the Dream of
Horses as part of the piped music in a clothes shop. Not as
unlikely as it sounds, I've heard such way out sounds as
Teenage Fanclub in the same shop, but I said that there was
no such thing as an instrumental version of JATDOH. I didn't
want to call them dirty liars before being completely sure.
So - could they be right, or are they mental?

Peter