Sinister: Chatty Sinisterines

Honey honey at xxx.net
Tue Dec 9 14:50:24 GMT 1997

On Tue, 9 Dec 1997, Hopkins T wrote:

> Hiya,
> downloaded mIRC, and it seems to be working, but who knows?! Any idea
> when anyone will be around in the chat room today? Is the address really
> just #chat.virgin.net? That sems a little...i dunno, general.
> Anyway I (as far as I know) logged on there and nobody was around. I was
> expecting to see some kind of robot there (your HoneyBot? goodness...)
> and the absence of anything at all made me feel I wasn't in the right
> place somehow.
>
> This and other general technical paranoia has characterised my morning.
>
> Any favourite servers I should connect to?

OK - you've got that slightly garbled.  Here for everyone is a quick
reminder:

1. You can use any IRC program to access IRC, including the Virgin chat
rooms.  The easiest is Virgin's GlobalChat, as mentioned earlier at:

	http://community.virgin.net/cs/owa/pcs_svc.mainpage

But mirc and other programs will do as well: you can get them at

	http://www.mirc.co.uk

Peter - there's a Spanish mirror site and it shouldn't take long!  Honest.
It's too much fun to miss.

2. If you use GlobalChat it will automatically connect to the SERVER
chat.virgin.net.  If you use mirc etc. you will need to add this to the
server list.

3. So chat.virgin.net is the SERVER not the ROOM.  Rooms begin with "#" -
the two to use are "#JeepsterRecords" and "#Sinister" - just type "join
<roomname>".  There aren't any alternative servers for the Virgin betwork,
to my knowledge, unlike the other networks like Undernet.

4. Amanda Bergman has already posted something today about Mac clients.
Thanks Amanda!

5. Remember - dummy run tonight at 9pm GMT - be there.  It's been a lot of
fun so far! Best place to gather tonight is probably #Sinister.

6. The HoneyBot twins like a nice tickle.

HoneyChile