Sinister: Manc Town Hall

Mark mark at xxx.uk
Fri Dec 12 18:08:31 GMT 1997

Has anyone actually seen a pop concert ('gig' still makes me feel kind of
queasy - not sure why.  Mind you 'pop' is getting that way too - always seems
to be used to make a point these days.  Ooops - digression!) at the Manchester
Town Hall?

Yep, I saw Fretblanket and Mel Garside play there as part of some 'In The
City' type thing. It's a huge room, easily holds over 1000 so it'll be a
bit breezy at the back if the fire limit is 700. It's also got a high
ceiling but hopefully they'll be draping it to help the sound.
No-one was at the gig I saw except for Steve Lamacq who danced like a loon
on his own in the middle of the room to Fretblanket's set.
Mel Garside cried afterwards, presumably because it was so empty and the
gig was a bit demoralising (well, Lamacq didn't dance while she was on!)

But it's got no sightline problems or anything like that. Parking for free
wasn't an option if I remember rightly, there's some great big car park up
the road but no street parking.

What else could you possibly need to know? Oh yeah - it's got a bar....

Mark