Sinister: RE: the Nick Drake biography

Coombs, Benjamin (B.J.) benjamin.coombs.bcoombs at xxx.uk
Tue Dec 16 16:41:32 GMT 1997

I have the book in my hand. it's yellow, it's called:

Nick Drake
the Biography

Patrick Humphies

ISBN 0-7475-2976-0

I haven't started reading it yet.

The sad thing is though that Gabrielle Drake (his sister) and Joe Boyed
(producer) didn't help with the writing of the book.

I got into B & S because nearly every b&s review mentioned Nick.

The dust cover has the following words:

Nick Drake was barely 26 years old when he died in 1974. The British
singer-songwriter made only three albums during his short life - Five
Leaves Left, Bryter Layter and Pink Moon. All are now recognised as
classics.

 Since his death, Nick has been cited as a seminal influence by stars as
diverse as REM, Elton John, Paul Weller, Jackson Browne, Everything But
The Girl, Tom Verlaine and Matt Johnson of The The. While the lives of
other musicians who died before their time, such as Jim Morrison, John
Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Gram Parsons, have been amply
documented, there has never before been a biography of Nick Drake.
Patrick Humphries' illuminating text includes exclusive interviews with
friends, colleagues and musicians who knew and worked with Nick. It
provides an unprecedented insight not only into the life and work of
Nick Drake, but also into the music scene of the 1960s that formed his
backdrop.

 The author's lifelong appreciation of and interest in Nick Drake were
further fuelled when he discovered that his uncle Dr. James Lusk
actually delivered Nick into the world and remained a friend of the
Drake family. In these Pages he draws on a long letter from Nick's
father to Dr. Lusk, in which he describes how his wife, Nick's mother,
discovered Nick's body during the morning of 25 November 1974, following
an accidental overdose of prescribed drugs.

 I a week is a long time in politics, then the 23 years since Nick's
death represent a lifetime in the transitory world of pop. But the music
of Nick Drake has never lost its place in his fans' affections, and
still its haunting beauty reaches out to fresh generations. This book is
for all of them.

 Writer and journalist Patrick Humphries is the author of acclaimed
biographies of Paul Simon, Bob Dylan and Richard Thompson. He lives in
London.

Happy Christmas

- Benjamin