Sinister: Dead people

Coombs, Benjamin (B.J.) benjamin.coombs.bcoombs at xxx.uk
Wed Dec 17 10:48:19 GMT 1997

hello Reader,

>How did Nick Drake influence Elton John?  Now that is puzzling.

I possibly sense from the tone of the last letter that you ask this
question with a small sense of sarcasm? well the answer to your puzzle
is thus:

I think I'm right in writing (can any one correct me?)  that the very
first person ever to cover Nick Drake songs was in fact Elton John. I
believe  he recorded four songs (Day Is Done, Saturday Sun, Way To Blue
and Time Has Told Me) on a demo way back in 1968. As far as I know these
songs are available on bootlegs only.

So you may well think Elton john is now a very rich man with a partially
cured hair problem, but you can't deny that B&S and EJ both draw a pon
the same musical influences.

so there you go

Bryter Layter,

Benjamin

PS
Anagram of Belle & Sebastian: See Bill & be Santa