Sinister: Dead people

Christopher R Blake crb23 at xxx.edu
Wed Dec 17 14:53:56 GMT 1997

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Tag wrote:

> A brief return to the list after the giddy excesses of the chat room.
>
> On Tue, 16 Dec 1997 16:41:32 -0000, Benjamin wrote:
>
> >I got into B & S because nearly every b&s review mentioned Nick.
>
> There are vague similarities.  They're both wonderful.  And 'I was
> made to love magic' is pretty damn close to perfect.
>
> >The dust cover has the following words:
> >Nick Drake was barely 26 years old when he died in 1974. The British
> >singer-songwriter made only three albums during his short life - Five
> >Leaves Left, Bryter Layter and Pink Moon. All are now recognised as
> >classics.
>
> He went to school in the same town as me.  He went to the public
> school, I had an old-fashioned comprehensive education.  Never did me
> any harm.
>
> >Since his death, Nick has been cited as a seminal influence by stars as
> >diverse as REM, Elton John, Paul Weller, Jackson Browne, Everything But
> >The Girl, Tom Verlaine and Matt Johnson of The The. While the lives of
> >other musicians who died before their time, such as Jim Morrison, John
> >Lennon, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Gram Parsons, have been amply
> >documented...
>
> In the case of Jim Morisson, a suitable tribute would involve going to
> his grave and laughing at the fat drunken wanker.  Poet my arse.  And
> Janis Joplin was a wailing harpie smackhead.  And Jimi Hendrix
> couldn't sing to save his life.  Oh, I do hope that didn't offend
> anyone.
>
> How did Nick Drake influence Elton John?  Now that is puzzling.
> 'Daniel' is good though.

FYI

Elton John released a record of 4 Nick Drake covers in the early 70's.

PS -

I saw the Nick Drake tribute concert at St. Ann's church in Brooklyn back
in November.  It was a mixed bag.  Peter Holsapple did a great job
conducting the musicians but the whole event was entirely too reverential.
Not that Nick doesn't deserve reverence.  It was all just a
little too stiff - with the remarkable exception of the great Peter
Blegvad who performed Been Smokin Too Long.  The show was recorded
for radio broadcast - which may account for the National Public Radio
vibe.  Some of the other performances were good - Richard Barone, Duncan
Sheik.

Chris Blake, NYC