Sinister: B&S on a Brazilian magazine

Junior/Fabiana jrbia at xxx.br
Wed Dec 17 01:08:51 GMT 1997

Hi everybody!
I've just joined Sinister, and I'm sending the translation of the Brazilian
article about "If You're Feeling Sinister", which Ivo Augusto has talked
some days ago. (Yes, I'm Brazilian too, and I'm an Ivo's great friend and
er...fan!).
Please note that I kept two mistakes from the original text: the author
(Zeca Camargo) says that they have two singles (instead of 3 EPS, right?)
and he really wrote "Lazy Pine..."

Fabiana :o)
PS: This article takes almost the whole page of the magazine, and it also
has a picture, with the text: "Cover from Belle and Sebastian. Any
similarity with the Smiths...

MISSING THE  80's

Welcome to the 80's. Be cool, not those 80's from Kajagoogoo, Duran Duran,
Spandau Ballet and Hayzee Fantasyee. Welcome to the 80's frequented by
bands
like Felt, Pale Fountains, Weather Prophets, James (before-Madchester) and,
of course, The Smiths – who used to fill our hearts with hope that one day
the god pop music would triumph.
It was not exactly what happened, but that spirit is more than alive on the
weird group Belle and Sebastian. If You're Feeling Sinister is the most
nostalgic release from 1997. And the good is that this Scottish from
Glasgow (Stuart Murdoch) and his troupe are able of something even better
inside this nostalgia: not to look like nostalgic ones, but like some who
innovate, with a collection of ten tracks able to light the spirit.
Belle and Sebastian go over themselves, creating something magic which, in
English, is called hook. One thing that sticks immediately on your head, a
instantaneous and perfect chorus, able to make you start singing "Fox on
the Snow" by the roads of Turkey without any notion of chords.
Keeping the music simple and risking some strings here and there,
Murdoch doesn't stop his production. Besides the album, this year the
leader of Belle and Sebastian has already released two singles with four
previously unreleased tracks each: "Dog on Wheels" and "Lazy Pine Painter
Jane". Any fortune that you spend in CD importing stores with these
preciousness will be very good used money.