Sinister: Nick Drake and B&S miscellany

Charlotte Hall Charlotte.Hall at xxx.uk
Thu Dec 18 01:36:26 GMT 1997

     A few things:

     1. Nick Drake. I have been listening to "way to blue" many many times
     and I think that it is a truly wonderful record. It is all too
     apparent why comparisons are made with B&S. Someone mentioned this
     before, I'm sure, but a lucid biography of Nick Drake says that he was
     a star of track and field (see
     http://www.musicblvd.com/cgi-bin/tw/2777614882191567_105_4277), an
     interesting connection. And is the song title Hazy Jane just a
     coincidence?

     2. Joanna (?), cover star of Tigermilk, works in the library at my
     sister's University. My sister recognised her because she knows the
     cover but also because she and my friend Fraser met Stuart Murdoch and
     Joanna going sledging in Kelvingrove Park last winter.

     3. It's true, Stuart Murdoch used to box at University (Peter has
     already averred this but now I have proof!)

     4. Photo Jenny is a very very good song.

     5. I forgot to mention for the benefit of Paul's list that another
     owner of Tigermilk is Fraser (see above) McNaughton from Edinburgh.

     6. Keith - I'm sure "a day on the list is like a day on the farm"
     is a paraphrase of a line in Aliens (spoken by the sergeant). Am I
     worng?