Sinister: Foxhole, Foxhole

Nigel Turner nigelt at xxx.net
Thu Dec 18 11:59:12 GMT 1997

Keith Watson wrote:

>Indeed, Television are one of the greats. As an addendum given to the
misinformation the press often puts about, "Adventure" by Televsion is a
fantastic LP, you've all heard of Marquee Moon, well, enough's been written
about that already. "Adventure" is great - and often derided as a poor
cousin the previous, don't believe what you read.

It is a good album in its own right, agreed, but I think they'd set themselves
an impossible task of following up what remains, in my opinion, one of the
best 3 or 4 lps ever made.  Also worth tracking down is the bootleg album
of early demos from 1974/75.  This features some fantastic raw versions
of a number of the Marquee Moon songs, including the "legendary" 1974
Eno-produced sessions, featuring Richard Hell on bass.  His technique
might have been primative, but the energy on these tracks is amazing.
If you like early Television, you should also hear the Neon Boys' (Hell and
Verlaine pre-Television) "Love Comes in Spurts", still available on Overground
records, I believe.  Oh, and the live cassette (may be available on cd now?)
"The Blow Up", on ROIR records, recorded in 1977, is also worth hearing, if
only for Verlaine's outrageous guitar playing in a 10 minute version of "Little
Johnny Jewel".  Erm, no B&S content, sorry.

Nigel
xx