Sinister: Hazy Pint Drinking Keith

Keith Watson keith at xxx.uk
Thu Dec 18 13:11:32 GMT 1997

>It is a good album in its own right, agreed, but I think they'd set
themselves
>an impossible task of following up what remains, in my opinion, one of the
>best 3 or 4 lps ever made.  Also worth tracking down is the bootleg album
>of early demos from 1974/75.  This features some fantastic raw versions
>of a number of the Marquee Moon songs, including the "legendary" 1974
>Eno-produced sessions, featuring Richard Hell on bass.  His technique
>might have been primative, but the energy on these tracks is amazing.
>If you like early Television, you should also hear the Neon Boys' (Hell and
>Verlaine pre-Television) "Love Comes in Spurts", still available on
Overground
>records, I believe.  Oh, and the live cassette (may be available on cd
now?)
>"The Blow Up", on ROIR records, recorded in 1977, is also worth hearing, if
>only for Verlaine's outrageous guitar playing in a 10 minute version of
"Little
>Johnny Jewel".  Erm, no B&S content, sorry.
>
>Nigel
>xx

These are indeed good, there's also, if you're interested, a bootleg
floating around that's got different versions of Double Exposure and Blank
Generation. Plus a couple of tracks that I don't know what they are. There's
a different live version of Little Johnny Jewel on this too. V.Good indeed.
And right enough, "The Blow Up" is available on double CD now.

Did you know... Belle and Sebastian watch Television.

Cheers,
    Keith.