Sinister: Snow! State! Help!

Nick Dastoor/BSHO/GB Nick_Dastoor/BSHO/GB%BSHO at notesgw.compuserve.com
Thu Dec 18 11:51:27 GMT 1997

>>"jon g." <jon.g at BTInternet.com>
>>well, after all the fox in the snow reports, I thought I had better inform
you that:
>>!!!- IT IS SNOWING IN SHEFFIELD!!!!!
>> Yeah!!
>> Sorry, I just thought you outght to know:

Hurrah for Sheffield and its fantastic snowfall track record!  Probably the
best two weeks of my life were accompanied (and partially caused) by the
gorgeous avalanche of January 1996.  I was the only person awake to pad through
those first fat flakes that fell all around at 3AM on an early weekday morning
in Crookes.  <sigh>  No foxes, but perhaps that would have overegged the Walls
Romantico pudding.  Truly, Sheffield can put on a true snow show.  Not like
this piddling town London with its pathetic mean-minded little dots of
half-baked flakes (tip - never attempt to bake snow) that melt before they even
reach the overheated concrete.

The State I am In (parts 17-24):
 I confessed to joining in #sinister to some friends last night.  They were not
impressed.  I think they were worried I might end up married to a club-footed
spinster from Arkansaw or something.  It was all so difficult to justify to an
outsider.  Even the mailing list.  "What on earth do you talk about?" scoffed
Suzanne.  "Um" said I.  As for workmates, they find it amusing enough that I
should even be looking at a website about a band called Belle & Sebastian.  And
when I said I couldn't go for a drink because I needed to get home to record a
session off the radio, they assumed I was joking.  When it became clear I
wasn't, one said "Wouldn't it be simpler just to buy the album?".  It's a
different world...

Important (for me) bit:  I've only got 2 days left to abuse work internet
facilities before I retire to my country seat.  I think I may have missed the
final Manchester meet up details - are they posted somewhere?  Could some kind
person point me in the right direction.

Xmas cheer to you all.

Love from Nick (or, as the mailing list archive has it - [no name] - I like
that) xxx