Sinister: Snow! State! Help!

susannah susannah at xxx.net
Sat Dec 20 08:57:43 GMT 1997

on 18 Dec 97, Nick Dastoor/BSHO/GB wrote...

>The State I am In (parts 17-24):
> I confessed to joining in #sinister to some friends last night.  They were not

>impressed.  I think they were worried I might end up married to a club-footed
>spinster from Arkansaw or something.  It was all so difficult to justify to an
>outsider.  Even the mailing list.  "What on earth do you talk about?" scoffed
>Suzanne.  "Um" said I.

Ha ha!
I haven't even confessed to my friends (except my flatmate who's a 'geek' too)
that I even use the INTERNET , let alone am chatting happily away to a bunch of
strangers in cyberspace.
What would they think? Probably drop me straight away I should imagine, for the
net is still halfway between the preserve of trainspotters and computer nerds
and a way to go before enjoying any sort of credibility.
I made the dire mistake of telling an old bloke at work, who is online at home
too, hoping he would have the sense to refer to it only in hushed whispers, but
at corporate tea-time the other day, he suddenly piped up " 'surfed' into any
good 'websites' recently ;-) ?" to which my workmates turned round and stared at
me incredulously, like all my clothes had suddenly vanished or something.
I muttered something about my flatmate buying a computer and 'internal modems
bog standard these days' ,  but the die was cast and am forced to wear 'GEEK'
tattoed across my forehead for all to see.

They don't know what they're missing

susannah at tormentor.clara.net