Sinister: Arab Strap on Advertisment?

the duke of harringay tangent at xxx.uk
Sun Dec 21 11:06:58 GMT 1997

CMD LOO wrote:

> Hi Sinisterians,
>
> I was at the movies today watching 'Tomorrow
> Never Dies' and before that
> .... as usual there were loads of
> advertisments.  There was this
> advertisment which caught my ear .... a
> 'Guniness' stout advertisment
> playing tunes similiar to Arab Strap's
> 'Something for the weekend' (I
> think).  Can anyone englighten me?

it's the backing track to big weekend...
originally Aidan was going to be doing the voice
over but someone decided he sounded too scottish,
so they used the other bloke instead.
coincidentally, i was dj-ing a party last weekend
and i played the peel session version ('first big
peel thing') and a lot of people said 'oh this is
that guiness song, i really love it, who's it
by?'  the track 'first big weekend' as a single is
long deleted, but you can get it on the amazing
'the week never starts round here' LP.

a hit! no less.

the duke

--