Sinister: Belle and Sebastian .. playing songs for children

Honey honey at xxx.net
Mon Dec 22 14:00:16 GMT 1997

Quick run through the Beat Patrol show for those who will miss it, as I'm
listening to it just now.  Sorry about the comments, just ignore them if
you want.  And the tape offer stands.

    *** Beat Patrol, Radio Scotland, 5-6pm 21st December 1997 ***

OK - we get all the band members except Mick.  They all pick favourite
tracks and we hear three newish B&S recordings and some merry banter.
I've not heard Beat Patrol before but I think the presenter's a bit blown
away by the choices the band make, which is nice.  There's quite a bit of
teasing at the beginning by Isobel, Stuart David and Sarah, as anyone who
was around when Stuart joined the chat unexpectedly a couple of nights ago
will expect (ask me for a log :). Richard, Stuart M, Chris and Stevie come
along then and we talk music a bit more.

It's also nice to put voices to erm.. faces or shoes (Pam?) or something I
suppose.

- B&S: Loneliness Of The Middle-Distance Runner -

[What a lovely song - I've actually never heard this as I'm behind on my
session tape scraping and begging]

- Isobel -
Bobby Gentry and Glen Campbell: Little Green Apples

[Cute Campbell link, a present to Isobel from a friend for Christmas
sometime, whooshy swinging soft and sweet, just like Isobel's voice]

- Stuart D -
Tom Waits: Earth Dies Screaming

[Tom in his rougher later more theatrical plonky phase - Stuart likes all
Tom's stuff and very fine it is too.. erm, well I think so - Stuart says
that is what B&S are aiming for - yeah...]

- Sarah -
Queen: Don't Stop Me Now

[OK erm I'll beg ignorance of why on this one so I'll say nothing -
that's what I like about B&S, the little shockers]

- B&S: Slow Graffiti -

[Another new one for woefully ignorant me (can someone do me a tape of the
latest sessions??) - and this is the highlight for me, I can't think
straight when it's on, it's so crushingly beautiful]

- Stuart M -
Madness: whatsitcalled, You're An Embarrassment (?)

[Well everyone knows this - Stuart says it's because he hadn't heard it in
ages]

- Richard -
Miles Davis: toon anyone?

[I start getting very excited here: Miles Davis arranged by Gil Evans,
earlier stuff, staccato and just wonderful; Richard apparently plays
"cabaret drums"]

- Mick -
Chet Baker: Let's Get Lost

[OK I can admit it now: I swoon everytime I hear Chet's trumpet and,
although there's some teasing about his "crooning" I love his voice too -
seems like a wonderful feminine kind of masculine voice.  If anyone wants
to talk Chet with me I will forever, and supply copious tapes!  Forlornly
romantic and so west coast coooool]

- Chris -
Young MC: Theme from Shaft (remix of Isaac Hayes original)

[Chris's well known rap/groove persuasion coming out here - he says he
doesn't want Stuart M to rap on stage necessarily, but he does really]

- B&S: Just A Modern Rock Song -

[We all know this I think?]

- Stevie -
Yoko Ono and the Plastic Ono Band: Listen The Snow Is Falling

[B side of Christmas by John Lennon - really cute simple Christmas song,
depending on your point of view (Tim J might go all scroogy on us)]

- B&S: We Wish You A Merry Christmas -

[DJ Krush remix]

[Only joking]

Honey