Sinister: Re: Ian Broudie and all that

Gerard Wood gwood at xxx.uk
Tue Dec 23 09:01:23 GMT 1997

Hi folks,

Until now I'm been lurking irresponsibly in the shadows, but Christmas
seems such a perfect time to reveal myself to you...

I come from that strange land inhabited by Half Man Half Biscuit websites
( http://www.btinternet.com/~hmhb/hmhb.htm, folks) and Fall mailing lists.
Some of you already know this to be true. The onset of B&S fandom has been
a strange and incredibly slow process, starting with snippets of
"Tigermilk" on the radio all those moons ago, culminating in the release of
"Lazy Line Painter Jane" and the Oxford gig not so many moons back, when
the madness finally took over. Don't know why it took so long, perhaps
these things are supposed to take time.

Oooh, I'm rambling already. I do that quite a lot. Anyway, I was going to
say something slightly relevant:

At 6:26 pm +0000 22/12/97, susannah wrote:

>Urm, B&S are in Mojo magazine this month.
>Furthermore in the same mag, various 'pop stars' pick 'the best thing they've
>heard all year' and Ian Broudie says:
>"I don't know when it came out, I only bought it recently-but the thing thats
>really struck me this year is Belle & Sebastians CD, IYFS. I'd heard odd
>tracks, singles here and there , which I'd really liked, and now I've bought
>it and I think its a fantastic record. I love the whole feel, and the lyrics
>are incredibly good. Theres a lot of stuff in there, I hear a lot of the
>Velvet
>Underground in it in a funny way. Its really weird, because they're
>obviously a
>young band, but it is really a quality production."

Hopefully this hasn't been mentioned here before - Ian Broudie was on "Live
& Kicking" (Saturday morning UK kids TV) a few weeks back, plugging his
"Best of..." LP and going through the usual chore of the kids' phone-in. He
was asked the same question on there, and full marks to the man, he gave
the same reply as above. A few confused kiddies and Zoe Ball not quite
knowing to say. Almost as good as the brief 1980 Fall excerpt on "Hit Miss
or Maybe" at around the same time...

Gez, not as young as he used to be but can still pretend with the best of 'em