Sinister: Civic pride

Nick Dastoor/BSHO/GB Nick_Dastoor/BSHO/GB%BSHO at notesgw.compuserve.com
Tue Dec 30 14:52:13 GMT 1997

Uh-uh-uh (supposed to be the noise of a small child desperately trying to get
its words out but too excited to do anything but attract attention with a
repetitive kind of squeal).

So much to say.  I've just returned to work (boo!) and thus internet access and
read through piles and piles of wonderful archived sinister postings.  Beat
Patrol and Susannah's questions being answered and the start of the avalanche
of Manchester-related gushing. It's all enough to make me forget my looming
mountains of unopened post and inevitable end of year direction of life angst.

Err.. yes, the Town Hall.  Sigh.  I left work before the meet up details were
posted so I missed out on all that.  Perhaps this was a bad thing.  But I went
to Saturday's with some friends from Manchester I haven't seen for two years so
it would have all been a bit awkward.  I hope those who did meet up had fun and
were not shocked by each other's appearances.  As I looked around Albert Square
at everyone I was somehow disappointed.  How rude of me.  I don't know what
would have impressed me.  Probably not looking at myself.  Partly it was just
the preponderance of twenty-something males in studenty attire.  Which probably
covers me, but I do look about 12 so maybe I don't count.  Oh, I don't know
what I'm on about.  I suddenly sound all negative and that's no good.  Because
I come to praise not to bury (:

I'm not going to attempt a review of Saturday's concert.  Just some random
thoughts:  it was a shambles....the sound was pretty ropey...it made me laugh
when we were finally let in and people started forming the only orderly
single-file queue for a bar i've ever seen (although this soon broke down and
B&S fans showed themselves for the beer monsters they really are)...after
queuing for about half an hour for an ill-advised third drink a kind boy said i
think she's first and then _she_ said actually i think _he's_ first and then i
failed to carry on the goodwill and said yes i think i am...thankyou whoever
you are...stuart murdoch doesn't look like he does in the few photos i've
seen...less debonair and more gawky...i was too far back in the crowd...my
(female) friend said later that every male in the audience was transfixed by
isobel...i thought it was just me...everyone stood still...the same friend also
said that the girl at the merchandise stall (Katrina) was dead posh...i left
not allowing myself to think that it had been a little bit joyless.

But Sunday lunchtime - ah, now that was a whole lot different.  Just me on my
lonesome this time.  I arrived just as everyone got chucked out to wait outside
which meant that I ended up being right at the front of the queue.  Got talking
to a rather snooty boy who was slagging off the t-shirts and the prospect of
'teenyboppers' ruining everything by dancing and singing along.  Stopped
talking to him after a while.  Skip forward to sitting cross-legged right in
front of the right (in theatre direction terms) side of the stage.  Waited for
hours reading Little Ink Movies and Creme Anglaise, surveying the scene and
wondering what happened to the festive film idea.  Failed to talk to anyone.
Wondered what I must look like to everyone else a lot.  Gosh e-mails get long
when you do this sort of thing.  Is anyone even still with me?  I shall abandon
the chronological approach.

So I spent the whole wonderful time under Stuart Murdoch's nose.  And yes it
was wonderful (not his nose - that was only adequate).  Everything that was
disappointing about Saturday was put to rights.  Saturday was like a rehearsal
really - intriguing but they didn't really gel.  Completely different set of 14
songs except for Arab Strap.  Better selection of new stuff.  Tigermilk rocked
like a lemur.  Everyone filled in for Stuart when he forgot his terry
underwear.  We all cheered Stevie (who seemed an excellent steadying presence
on the proceedings - I'm sure he makes an excellent counsellor) and his
ever-shining Seymour Stein.  Mick Cooke's very handsome, isn't he?  And best of
all, I grabbed a set-list at the end.  As well as being something generally t
reasurable, it let me put names to gorgeous new songs like Simple Things.  And
next to Expectations the absent-minded Boy Stuart had written the first lines
of some of the verses that he has difficulty remembering.

Some people I noticed - anyone recognise themselves? :

- An Edwyn Collins lookalike in rather dapper clothes who wandered around for a
while, then appeared to be worshipping the speaker stack, and finally spotted a
man in glasses round the other side of the stage so dashed around there, where
he stayed for the rest of the evening.

- A boy in black with worrying maroon slip-on shoes complete with gold buckle
and a perfectly accessorised gold carrier bag.  He sat just behind me on the
floor near the front whilst waiting for the band to appear, and seemed as on
his own as me.

- A girl with big red hair sitting on a podium stage right.

- A girl with lanky hair and glasses, wearing a flowery pink blouse and a red
tank top.  I kicked your elbow as I negotiated the seated hoards on my from way
back from the gents. You said "Ow!". I said "Oops! Sorry".  Sorry again.  If
I'd been a quick-thinking pervert I could have kissed it better and then said
"But I'm only re-enacting the lyrics to Seeing Other People".  But luckily I'm
neither quick-thinking nor a pervert.

- A bloke with long hair and glasses who was behind me at the front.  You tried
to attract Isobel's attention at the end, perhaps to get her set list or
something, but her attention wasn't to be attracted.

- Someone who I'm sure was Danny the miserable loner off "Grange Hill".  Tell
me this is true!

- Some tallish skinny boy right at the front who spoke to no one, grinned
inanely throughout the set, and unzipped his murky green top to reveal a
cornflower blue Go-Betweens T-Shirt.  Oh, of course - that was me!

So long all.  I think I've outstayed my welcome.  Hope to meet you all one
day...errrm...I'll get me coat.

Nick

nick_dastoor.bsho at notes.compuserve.com