Sinister: other bands

Andrew Lison alison at xxx.edu
Tue Dec 30 17:39:14 GMT 1997

Hello everyone!  I'm new to this list, so I thought I'd say hello and
respond to some of Brandon's Sarah-related stuff.  Shame to hear about the
break-in.

At 03:19 AM 12/30/97 PST, bradford wrote:

>i went record shopping the other day and i picked up the trembling blue
stars album that a couple of you >mentioned on this list. it was amazing.
who can tell me anything else about them. how many albums do they >have.
e.p's. i got "her handwriting"

Trembling Blue Stars is Robert (?) who used to be in the Field Mice and
Northern Picture Library.  His girlfriend, Annemari (also of the Field Mice
and NPL) broke up with him, causing him to write an entire album about her,
"Her Handwriting."  Aside from that album, they also have a single, "The
Rainbow," which, if you buy on CD, comprises just about everything they've
ever put out.  It's all produced by Ian Catt, who produced St. Etienne and
other good stuff.

And, since you liked Sarah 100, you would probably do well to seek out any
Northern Picture Library stuff you can find.  Most of it is still in print,
on Vinyl Japan.  Check out their album "Alaska" and their two singles,
"Blue Dissolve" and "Love Song for a Dead Che."  I'd recommend the Field
Mice as well, but their stuff is horribly out of print.

>i also picked up a sarah records compilation. sarah 100 there and back
again lane, i think it's called. being >from south georgia, i wasn't
exposed to all this stuff that you guys (y'all) keep talking about. there's
some >really good stuff on it as well.

It's funny to see this album mentioned right after I subscribed to the
list, because the three albums that have had nonstop play on my stereo have
been "If You're Feeling Sinister," Sarah 100, and "Homogenic" by Bjork.  I
am also pretty new to the whole Sarah thing, being American and only twenty
years old.  Everything I've heard is great, though.

ObB&S: I saw on their web page that the PBS show "Sessions at West 54th
Street" was supposed to show a Belle and Sebastian set last Saturday, but I
went to their website and found no mention of it.  Did this happen, or is
it still to come?

And also, are there any planned B&S gigs in the next two months or so?  I
may have to go to England on business and would love to check 'em out.
I'll probably post again later seeking more general tips on things to do
and places to go, etc.

Andrew