Sinister: sunday gig... oh yes

***Rob B*** rewb2 at xxx.uk
Wed Dec 31 02:01:02 GMT 1997

Hello all

I've noticed quite a few messages on the list about the gigs, so I'll try
and keep this one short(ish)...

Sunday... the day I'd been waiting for for a long long time!  It began with
a six hour coach journey from London - nice!  through the rain and traffic
and Birmingham, eventually arriving in Manchester at about 4.  We went to
my friend's flat, and then caught the bus back into town, stopping at a
vodka bar, where I partook of a 'dime bar' flavoured vodka - hmm... won't
be trying that one again!

We got to the Square Albert pub at about six.  "Erm, it doesn't look
terribly open", "no..." ; sure enough, the designated meeting place was not
up to much.  We hung around not sure what to do for a while, listening to
some people in the square celebrating Hannukah (i think), until some other
people turned up also hoping to get into the pub (hi Soozy, Kate, Sally,
Andy and lots of other people whose names i have forgotten - sorry!)

To pass the time, we went to play on the Ferris Wheel (sorry Stephen, it
really was a Ferris Wheel, not a pub!), then went to the pub afterwards,
making it to the town hall by about half seven.

Wow!  what a building!!!  It's a lovely gothic thing with spiky bits all
over, and a somewhat 'flat' inflatable Father Christmas, and cartoons
projected over the outside walls... inside there was a jewellery
exhibition, and upstairs was where the bar and band area was.  The hall
itself was wonderful, with a superbly ornate ceiling and lovely Holman Hunt
oil paintings adorning the lavish walls.  A perfect venue for a perfect
band!  and the stage was in the shape of a U...

After a bit of milling around in the bar area, Future Pilot aka began their
set.  Erm, did anyone else find them a bit strange??  I really didn't get
what they were all about at all!  Maybe I just wasn't being receptive
enough, but still...

Then, the moment we were all waiting four...  the band ambled on stage, and
started tuning up; a few moments later we were swaying to the gorgeous
strains of modern rock song, followed by the state i am in - always brings
tears to my eyes that one.  and so on and so on...  even when isobel's
'cello broke the rest of the band managed to keep us all entertained by
very amusing ad-libbing (and god! the guitar bit to le pastie really is
from Emmerdale farm!)

It was a superb show, everything fell into place, and i loved every minute
of it.  Does anyone have a set list for the sunday?  As far as I can
remember they did 'modern rock song', 'the state i am in', 'the loneliness
of the middle distance runner' (the first time i'd heard that - i love
it!), 'she's losing it', 'century of elvis' - that was lovely!, 'judy and
the dream of horses', 'seeing other people', 'sleep the clock around', 'you
made a young boy very sad' - is that the correct name?, 'dylan in the
movies', 'le pastie', something about matchstick men (?), that orange juice
song that isobel sang so sweetly, 'seymour stein', and a few others that
either i can't remember or don't know!

Wow, what a night!  See you at the next gig - hope to meet more of you
then!

love you all

Rob xx