Sinister: nottingham forest / dog on wheels

James Morton JAMES at xxx.uk
Wed Dec 31 13:13:58 GMT 1997

> I figure that if there are now over 400 people on this list ( + I
> keep seeing " hi I am new " messages all the time )

Ah, that would be my cue then..."hi, I am new".  Erm...I won't
start by saying how much I love B&S (although I do), since
I'm sure everyone here does if they're on this list, but it
is very nice to find so many other people in on the secret.
I only heard them for the very first time yesterday after
picking up "If You're..." from HMV on a whim (I have
a strange habit of buying albums by groups I know nothing
about and have never heard just because I like the cover of
the record), and after a couple of listens I was already a
devoted fan for life.

> Okay - oh yeah - I am only recently into the Smiths.  I bought '
> Queen is Dead ' after hearing Cemetery Gates.  What other albums
> should I buy?  I also got ' Southpaw Grammar ' by Morrissey for stlg3.99
> which I also like.  What good albums has he done?

The Smiths are my favourite band by a big margin so this isn't
very impartial advice, but...I'd recommend pretty much anything
by them - you can never have too many Smiths albums.  Louder Than
Bombs is a good intro since it includes about 24 songs, but here's
the full album list:

  The Smiths
  Hatful Of Hollow
  Meat Is Murder
  The Queen Is Dead
  The World Won't Listen
  Louder Than Bombs
  Strangeways Here We Come
  Rank (live album)

Plus the inevitable "Best Of..." and singles collections.

Moz's solo albums are a bit more variable in quality, but Viva
Hate and Vauxhall And I are probably the best.

On the subject of other bands, are there any Tindersticks
fans here?  I first heard B&S mentioned on Marbles (the 'Sticks
mailing list) about nine months ago, and I would image there's
quite a crossover between fans.

bye...

James

P.S. Oh, and happy new year!