Sinister: Belle, Sebastian and the Pastels

duke of harringay tangent at xxx.uk
Sat Nov 1 09:46:23 GMT 1997

Walter wrote:

> I've just read this in a french fanzine (Crême
> Anglaise, there's also an interview
> of Stuart David and Chris Geddes in it...)
> Stephen, of The Pastels, is answering a question
> about his hobbies :
>
> " I'm working in a library. I'm doing some
> writing also. I'm actually qoing to do
> a book with Stuart Murdoch of Belle and
> Sebastian. We're going to tell the story
> of Glasgow music from Orange Juice. It may be a
> book, but it will probably end
> up as a pamphlet! To both of us Orange Juice was
> a really important thing.

i find this quite amusing, since in the first
Juniper Beri Beri's (Stephens fanzine of early
80s) he was a bit disparaging of the whole
Postcard thing.  Quite satirical if i remember
correctly (and i could tell you for sure if i
could get my coies of 1 & 2 back from the 'friend'
who borrowed them seven or so years ago... by the
way thanks at Andreas for the copy of #3).  Also,
stephen said in an letter back in around '88 in
response to some research i was doing about
fanzines for my dissertation, that although they
rated Postcard way above the other Glasgow stuff
like Simple Minds etc they were always a bit
earnest for their (stephen and co) tastes.  Maybe
this confuses the Postcard thing with just Orange
Juice, but then to so many people in so many
respects, the OJs WERE Postcard.  Would make an
interesting book though... wonder if they'll
mention The Dolphins?

Oh yeah, and actually Kevin Pearce was in the
process of writing the definitive book about
Postcard and associated bands but he shelved it
after writing many chapters of insightful and
cutting prose.  It would have been a brilliant
book... i wonder if we can tempt him into
finishing it?  I doubt it somehow...

ah well.  i'm off to start writing my own book of
pop music insights.  ha ha.

the duke

--
Tangents On-Line