Sinister: On the trail of Tigermilk....

susannah susannah at xxx.net
Sat Nov 1 20:42:25 GMT 1997

So, after getting more obsessed with Belle&Sebastian as each day passes I
decided to try and track down a copy of Tigermilk..
I mean (I asked myself) How hard can it really be? I live in London with a whole
plethora of record shops, I'll find a dusty old copy somewhere no problem.

1.30 pm Berwick Street ,Soho
If you can't find a record on Berwick Street where can you? Just been paid,
money burning a hole in my pocket, don't care how much the thing costs..
 First stop , Reckless Records: Second hand exchange emporium . Start browsing
through 'B', hopes are high at this point, but nothing apart from Blondie and
Bauhaus, so I check out the 'Rarities ' and picture discs on the wall, but no
luck.
Finally ask the guy behind the counter to check on the computer, he takes a few
minutes and then says" yeh, Tigermilk..?" My eyes light up for a second, until
he adds "we last had a copy in August 1996"    and how much??    "£4.99"
Blimey !!

2.15pm
Enter Selectadisc. Come across 12"s of LLPJ and Dog on Wheels. Remember that Dog
on Wheels is now deleted on Vinyl, and I only have it on CD, so stick that under
my arm (I'm sad like that) and wonder off to look at the back catalogue section.
Spend half an hour looking through badly produced fanzines and finally leave
with The Sundays new album, Dog on Wheels and something else.... oh yeh, the
Beatles White album complete with lyric/poster sheet and posters of the fab
four.

3.15pm
Right, this is where things get serious. Sister Ray Records.
March up straight away to the counter and declare "do you have , or have ever
had (and here comes the clever bit) OR KNOW ANYWHERE I CAN GET a copy of
Tigermilk by Belle&Sebastian??????
The friendly and helpful assistant takes to his computer..... and returns to the
counter to declare:
" Six months ago we had one, but it will cost you....£40"
So we're getting nearer! Six months ago now, but the price has gone up tenfold
too. Pay for She hangs brightly by Mazzy Star at £6.99 (pleased about that one)
and move on

4.15pm
Grubby old second hand shop where you get black fingers from fingering the
racks.
No Belle&Sebastian whatsoever but the assistant offers to ring round a whole
host of second hand shops in London on my behalf.
I thumb through the seven inchers while waiting (for what seems like hours) but
don't find anything of interest...
He gets back to me to inform me that he knew of one sold ONLY three months ago
for £75  *gulp* but since then the price has been escalating out of control, and
you can get a holiday in the South of France for less!
Spend Two whole pounds and fifty pence on New Order Peel sessions and decide to
call it a day.

But I'm not finished yet.
NEXT WEEK: MANCHESTER.

susannah at tormentor.clara.net