Sinister: catologue numbers

Katrina at xxx.net> Katrina at xxx.net>
Mon Nov 3 13:27:57 GMT 1997

ok, i'll do it properly this time ...

mahmed at meto.gov.uk wrote:

> Has anyone noticed the catologue numbers on the BandS output?
> Off the top of my head, they are:
>
> sinister lp   jprcd001    (jeepster cd number 1)
> dogs ep       jprcds001   (jeepster cd single number 1)
> lazyjane ep   jprcds002   (jeepster cd single number 2)
> 963 ep        jprcds003   (jeepster cd single number 3)

well, not really, that's just for the cd copies ... replace the cd with
lp for sinister vinyl,  the cds by 7 for the ep seven-inch vinyl and cds
by 12 for the 12-inch copies.

Anyone know what the cat # for tigermilk is?  well, for those who're
interested its EHRLP5 (electric honey records).

> That would imply that Jeepster has only released product by BandS.

To date, yes.

> So does Jeepster have any other artists on their roster or
> is it a vehicle for BandS (similar to what Stereolab have) ?

Umm, no, B&S (which i prefer to BandS which just confuses me and says
bands instead of belle and sebastian) weren't even the first signing to
jeepster.  any guesses who were?  well, it was the fab talented two-some
Orlando who managed to bring tears to my eyes at their (well, dickon's)
last ever gig.  it's not my place to say what happened b/n orlando &
jeepster ... if dickon wants to tell, then ask him.  but, there is
another band on our roster ... they're called snow patrol (no capital's
please), used to be called Polar Bear, and before that Shrug.  They're a
three-piece from Belfast but live in Dundee (where Gary & Mark went to
college).  They (as Polar Bear and featuring Richard Colburn on drums)
recorded an ep for stow college, which was released about june this
year.  there will be a snow patrol single released in january next year.
 and then, we have another band who absolutely nobody knows about, but
they are sooooooo good ... not allowed to say their name as it's so top
secret, but they'll have a mini-album released next year.  i know lots
of people on this list will really really like them ... more news later!

> How long have Jeepster being around and who owns it and how did
> they attract BandS?

Ummm, once the knowledge website is up-and-running www.theknowledge.com
then you can find a jeepster history thigy, but basically, it's the
brainchild of Mark Jones and Stef D'Andrea, was formed late 1995 after
Mark had spent 15 years in the biz unable to sign the bands he wanted,
as the majors are crap.  stef and him had been mates for years, stef
made his fortune in the city, and he knew that mark had an amazing
ability to hunt out the next big thing (he tried to sign JAMC, the
Sugarcubes, PJ Harvey, Alisha's Attic, Eternal and a heap of others), so
he backed him and jeepster was born.  the B&S thing is in my other
lengthy post, but basically, mark set up a scout network, and neil from
glasgow sent the b&s demo, and naturally mark was on the next train to
see the band.  after hassling them for ages, stevie told stuart m that
mark deserved some form of commitment from the band, so after they had
set up a gig which a&r men from all over attended, mark was proud to
hear Stuart say "thanks to everyone for coming, sorry if it's been a
wasted journey though, as we've decided to sign to jeepster" (or
something along those lines), which they then did on 01-08-96.

> I'm just curious.

 that's ok, obviously i have nothing better to do!

bye
katrina.