Sinister: Names

SL Collins slc111 at xxx.uk
Tue Nov 4 12:01:35 GMT 1997

Whats in a name ? Had Belle and Sebastian been named after a diferentkids
cartoon - mysterious cities of gold for instance - would they have been
the same band ? The songs could have been the same but their overall
appeal wouldnt. The name gives them a warm and lovely aura - so much so
that you want to reach out and hug them and then go for a walk in the
andes or wherever. There is a definable character to the band indvidual to
their actual character which is so because of the fact that they have this
name.
Ive taken it too far but there is something in it I think .
And they namecheck themselves in so many songs - they perhaps hide behind
the fictional characters of B&S to allow them to explore stories and ideas
within the songs.

I'm not normally like this; I just finished a seminar all about youth
culture in the 50's, 60's and 70's which has affected my head.

My tutor said that a female friend of his in about 62 went to university
and in order to shock her parents she wore a duffle coat and her hair in
pigtails. A whole other world.

Michael Terwey - can I have my tape of the Lamacq session back please ?

What a dull message
Bye.....