Sinister: Born old, sadly wise

Neil Hargreaves 9607129h at xxx.uk
Wed Nov 5 13:27:52 GMT 1997

Hey,

Someone asked why the young people on this site keep apologising....
Weeeel, heres a theory with a Belle and Sebastian link....

I think my whole generation (i'm nineteen) has grown up prematurely
aged. We've been borne into a world where everyone tell us that all
the really great noble ideas have already gone and
art/literature/music whatever can onlymix and match different bits of
previous ides. As a consequence of this we've grown up listening to
very few bands who faith could be put into. I dont mean they were
bad, just that they didn't encourage taking a risk for, by really
liking them and really wanting them to succeed. You didn't invest
much of yourself into the music...

If anyones still here theres more...

Bands like Suedue and the Manic Street Preachers having somethinbg of
this quality, but (i'm being caregul here) there has always seemed a
suggestion of pretence about both of them. Whether this is true or
just a consequce of an overly cynical music press (who are too scared
to say look this band really are fanatastic and should be loved
unconditionally) I can tell. But it effects you anyway, even if you
dont fully acknowledge it....

then along come belle and sebastian and there just perfect. I think I
 used to have this subconcious idea before how my favourite band
would sound and they just fitted the mould. like going home, when you
didn't even know you were homesick. And there completly inclusive,
welcoming and intimate in the songas and in themselves, and we can
see them growing up right in front of us (the Manics and Suede were
both fully formed when I first encountered them) and they attract all
the peope who have grown up with these bands who were never quite
good enough. and they come to this list and were so young, but so
sorry

phew, er kind of went of on one there...
sorry

love,
neil H

PS getting old scares us more, a carrer as a teacher awaits no doubt