Sinister: Some Canadian stuff (I think).

ben ferneyhough bferneyhough at xxx.uk
Wed Nov 5 14:45:48 GMT 1997

A Friend in  Canada just sent me this, thought it might be of (some)
interest...

>From Alternative Press:

When Scottish folk-pop sensation Belle And Sebastian made its maiden voyage to
our shores last month for CMJ in New York, the group requested that its
performance take place in a 150-year-old cathedral. Church services at the
cathedral are still presumably free, but rumor has it that use of God's
quarters for that September evening of mellow melodies enhanced by fellow
Scots the Pastels cost the band $10,000. Though the band no longer has a
record label (since the decline of The Enclave), sources say Belle And
Sebastian are hoping to line up cathedrals for a tour of the U.S., when and if
that ever happens.
It seems likely that Matador is going to pick them up, but whether or not the
New York-based label helps put the band up in cathedrals remains to be seen.