Sinister: CMJ "pick of the day" / Cuddly Stuart Murdoch

Nicole Elger nicolina at xxx.com
Wed Nov 5 20:19:30 GMT 1997

Apologies if this has already been mentioned. (I'm on the digest version
so I don't get all the posts immediately.  BTW Paul, I did use your cool
new archive search to look for it in recent posts.)

The CMJ web site (http://www.cmjmusic.com/Newpicks/cmj.html) featured the
new EP as a "Pick of the Day" on Tuesday, November 4.  In a gushing
review, CMJ compares the music of B&S to migrating butterflies and refers
to Stuart Murdoch as CUDDLY! Ha, wonder what he'd think of that! Read the
full review below.

-- Nicole (whose new work computer has a great set of speakers and she'd
better get over the thrill of sound samples soon or she'll be rightfully
fired.)

_______________________________________
 BELLE AND SEBASTIAN
 3 ... 6 ... 9 Seconds of Light EP

Jeepster,  Unit 60, Canalot Production Studios,  222 Kensal Road, London W10
5BN   U.K.

Sound Samples:  "A Century Of Fakers" (ISDN), "Le Pastie De La
Bourgeoisie" (ISDN), "A Century Of Fakers" (28.8), "Le Pastie De La
Bourgeoisie" (28.8)

The seven members of Belle and Sebastian make incomparably beautiful
music.  Led by the cuddly Stuart Murdoch, the band's sublime pop flits
from your speakers like so many migrating butterflies. This new EP's first
song "A Century of Fakers," is a play on "A Century of Elvis,"  from the
band's last EP, Lazy Line Painter Jane. The revamped lyrics and soft,
enchanting melody are framed by carnival keyboards and a slowish cello.
"Le Pastie De La Bourgeoisie" begins with the ghostly guitar from
spaghetti westerns, and continues with a rolling, wagon-wheel beat that
would make Serge Gainsbourg proud. "Beautiful" is just that, a sad tale of
blindness woven by Murdoch's lyrics while the instruments build and burst
behind him. The last track is more railroad rhythm with trumpet, but
listen further for the hidden acoustic track at the end, which appears
like an epilogue for a dream and contains the near-perfect line "Belle and
Sebastian/on the radio/and we're really sorry/for all the trouble we've
caused." Apology accepted.

by DAVID DAY
 From CMJ New Music Report Singles Section, Issue #545-