Sinister: Re: Geriatrics

MWaggner at xxx.com MWaggner at xxx.com
Thu Nov 6 03:52:03 GMT 1997

>  likely too old wanting
>  > to admit it.  Please
>  > someone come out and pretend to be older than me
>  > or something.  Or give me
>  > a medal for still liking decent music and caring
>  > at my age.  Or something.

Oh Lordy -- I'm old enough to be the mother of most of you.  I've even got
the Duke beaten...  I'm 43.  Mostly I don't feel it, thanks to music.  Today,
however, I do, having been out too late seeing Stereolab two nights ago and
getting lost in Harlem on the way home.  Just don't bounce back like I used
to.

what's everyone's claim to fame?

Not fame, but here goes:  When I was in 8th grade (about 14 years old), Jim
Morrison of the Doors asked me to come along to NY with him.  My best friend
and I had sneaked around back after the show and came face to face with the
band, which we wanted to do -- but didn't really probably.  So we made some
inane chatter and I asked where they were going next, eliciting the
invitation.  (Be still my adolescent heart!)  Being a very good Catholic
school girl, I was on my way to saying, "No thank you, sigh" when along came
my mother who ruined it all by saying it for me.  He had gotten kind of
bloated by then anyhow and had switched to brown leather pants which weren't
as sexy as the black ones by half.

And here ya go Matt:  Several years later, while passing the stage door on
our way in to see Ten Years After, a friend and I were in a slight
disagreement.  Some guy lounging in the doorway began to mimic us and got us
pissed off.  Thinking he was a roadie, we launched into him, calling him
various and assorted names which I will not repeat here as they are
politically incorrect and I am now older, wiser and more sensitive (and most
of you are British).  I believe we won the verbal battle.  When the stage
lights came up, we discovered that the object of our vilification was none
other than Rod Stewart -- who we didn't know from a hole in the ground then.
 But to this day I feel very little regret.

And then there are the tales we don't tell because our sons are on this list
as well...

--michele