Sinister: Interview!!!!

Peter Miller and/or Arantxa Ubieta oc245d8aff at xxx.net
Thu Nov 6 16:10:01 GMT 1997

Madame Cholet wrote:

> Stuart Murdoch started chatting to me about my SFA patch
> on my jumper and I
> went "um...ergh....ak....sputter....och......" Then
> smoothly added, as i'm
> SO smooth...... "you're not a bloody HUN are you?" (NO
> OFFENSE TO YOU
> RANGERS ON THE LIST...I SUPPORT ABERDEEN SO I *HAVE* TO
> HATE THE HUNS.)" He
> started laughing and just looked at me like I was off my
> trolly....and said
> "no..not really....I tend to support Celtic..." At least I
> THINK that's
> what he said. My head was spinning and I was about to pass
> out.

Back in the days when he still did interviews, I'm sure I
read somewhere that Stuart Murdoch was a keen Ayr United
supporter. There was also some discussion about the origin
of said football team's nickname, The Honest Men. It's not
exactly The Red Devils, is it? Turns out that it comes from
a poem by Robert Burns, "Nickety Nackety Noo Noo Noo" or
something like that. Surprisingly, Murdoch went on to say
that Burns was quite a big influence on the narrative
structure of his song lyrics.

At any rate it's nice to see that barriers are being broken
down in the Glasgow pop/football/religion interface. Years
ago there was quite a big fuss because Simple Minds raised
the Irish flag over Ibrox, but now Wet Wet Wet (what an
annoying name to type!) play Celtic's ground and nobody
gives a fig.

Here's some more selected gems from the big B&S double
spread in Rock De Lux....Stevie and Richard get cornered by
an interviewer, César Macondo. Why doesn't Stuart M give
interviews, the miserable git?:

"No reason in particular, but he does give them sometimes
anyway. The thing is, the rest of the band can give the same
opinions as Stuart; we have different points of view, but in
the end the opinions that we can give add up to the same. He
usually takes this decision because the majority of
journalists go out of the way to tlk to Stuart, and he feels
under pressure. But he's not really like that; when we're in
a bar in Glasgow, he usually talks to everyone who comes up
to him. Even the dirty old winos."

"The romanticism that you're talking about has its origin in
our vision of day to day life. We don't feel inspired by
anyone's personality. We're much more motivated by snow, for
example." (it was the perennial Smiths question)

I can do some more if anyone's interested. There's nothing
earth-shaking here, but it's not a bad read. The photo is
better. Isobel is crouched over her cello like a member of
the old group Venice in Peril, or whatever they were called.
And Sarah's playing her violin, which is something I'd
forgotten all about. Can't see her roller skates though.

Petey Wetey