Sinister: who needs a subject?

Kimberly Rivas-Plata krivas at xxx.gov
Thu Nov 6 20:48:30 GMT 1997

Greetings! I'm another new one here and I've been slightly overwhelmed by
all the e-mail I've been receiving from this list. But I don't mind really
cause it's about B&S.

About me...I'm 23 and currently a laboratory researcher (infinitely exciting),
but I'll be rejoining the ranks of students next autumn. I don't own
Tigermilk (wah), though I do have IYFS and 3 EPs. I won't bore you all to
tears about how much I love B&S or how I found out about them (partly because
they're rather mundane stories and mostly because I'm sure you've heard it all
before) but I will say that everyone I've ever introduced to B&S was almost
instantly smitten. Now that's good songwriting!

Claim to fame...well, I met Neil Hannon after a show he did here in
Washington D.C. - The DC in D.C. the show was touted as. I was the only one
in the small audience that cheered when he announced that his next song
would be about summertime and all the fun allergies that come with it ("The
pop singer's fear of the pollen count"). He looked at me quizzically and
asked "Madame, what are you so happy about?" I said that I was just
applauding
because I liked the song, not because he suffered from hayfever. I hadn't
meant any offense, really. After the show, I got his autograph on a fiver
(the only bit of paper I had on me at the time). He was a tad hesitant to
sign it at first - something about defacing currency being an offense in
England - but then gave in and even drew a squiggley mustache on the Queen
herself.

Oh yeah, I also once met Benjamin Orr of Cars fame at a 4th of July party
when I was about 10. He gave me a autographed dollar, but being a kid, I
spent it within a week. My older brother was infuriated with me. But what
did I know, I was only a kid.

Now a question for you all: the song "Seeing other people", I read in a
review a while back that it was about an adolescent gay boy and a straight
girl, but I've gone over the lyrics again and again and I still can't
understand where this reviewer could get that the boy was homosexual. Am I
missing something here? Or is the reviewer just off in the deep end?

--Kimberly