Sinister: Re: seeing other people discussion

mnol1 at xxx.au mnol1 at xxx.au
Fri Nov 7 15:34:58 GMT 1997

Seeing Other People

When I first heard this song my initial impression was, and still is,
that it was about a perhaps early teen boy dealing with feelings of
confused sexuality.
I picture two boys, attracted to each other, and the same sex in
general, but who are struggling to come to terms with this - hence
they tell each other they are 'kissing just for practice' and that if
'I remain passive and you just want to cuddle...we wont get in a
muddle...'
Yeah, basically I think it's about what happens when this particular
boy realises he is gay - how he deals with it and what sort of
thoughts go through his mind at this time.

I think the line 'you're gonna have to change and you're gonna have
to go with girls, you'd be better off at least they know where to put
it' is pretty much the definitive proof that the song has at least
something to do with homosexuality - however whether my particular
reading is accurate or not, I dont know, but it works for me and
that's what I got out of it.

Marcus