Sinister: I dunno, young people today, gawd 'elp us if there's a war on

Robert McTaggart mctag at xxx.com
Fri Nov 7 08:42:42 GMT 1997

Hello everybody,

Not strictly a B&S thing, but relevant to the list, I hope....

I've noticed a bit of a trend with the younger members of our extended
family of frustration with references to bands they nothing about,
especially in the 'claim to fame' department, and a fear of showing
themselves up in case they get tut-tutted by more knowledgable people.
I also noticed one person's notion that it was the older people who
had the more esoteric taste.

What I want to say is, firstly, if I've ever gone on about someone
relatively unknown and alienated someone, I'm sorry.  I'm an old fart
by the standards of this list (but young at heart, of course, and only
a few months older than Stuart Murdoch), and so it's kind of
inevitable that some things I love are from before someone else's
time.  But I'll also say that I'm learning all the time, I certainly
don't feel an authority on everything, and my taste evolves
constantly, thanks to the recommendations of others, or from tapes
people have done for me, or whatever, as well as things I've found
myself.  And I don't believe that it's entirely an age thing.  I've
learnt of loads of things I've missed by people several years my
junior, especially things from other countries, lots of ace French,
German, Japanese, American and Scaninavian pop.  As Keith said, anyone
who judges people younger than themselves for lack of knowledge has
problems of their own.

I know there are people who contribute more regularly than others, but
this shouldn't turn into an old boy network.  Hopefully, this can be a
sharing thing, an open-minded thing, where kids of all ages can offer
opinions and options without being sneered at (ugh, I sound like a
hippy, but you know what I mean).

Claims to fame? Nah, everybody is a star....

Night-night

Tag